Many people believe that drinking water before morning brushing is harmful to health, contrary to popular belief it is actually beneficial for your health according to Vitarelli Dental, Saddle River.
This is because when we wake up in the morning, our mouth is full of saliva and by drinking water, we wash that saliva and it goes directly into our gut where the high acidity kills the bacteria that was in your mouth.
Just remember, your body contains 70-75% water and this should be enough to help you understand why drinking water is so important for us. If you drink water in the morning, it not only boosts your immunity but also improves your bowel movement.
In fact, drinking water just after waking up is a very popular thing in Japanese culture. If you still believe drinking water is not safe for your health before brushing your teeth, the following benefits will help you understand why it is actually beneficial.
Strengthens Your Immunity
- Drinking water on an empty stomach hydrates your body and boosts the immunity. When your immunity is boosted, your immune cells become stronger and they tend to fight dangerous bacteria or viruses better, keeping you safe from many diseases including Covid-19.
It Improves Bowel Functions
- Drinking water after just getting up will help your stomach flush out bowel movements better. If you do not drink the recommended amount of water, your body could become dehydrated and that will cause your stool to get stuck in the colon leading to constipation and other common digestive problems.
To avoid this, drink water in the water and continue to meet the daily recommended water intake of at least 8 liters.
It Will Help You Lose Weight
- Drinking a lot of water throughout the day boosts your metabolism. This is in a way good for weight management since you really want your metabolism to be fast when trying to lose some pounds.
It Can Prevent Colon Infections
- Constipation can cause colon infection especially when your body does not flush bowel movements properly. Drinking a lot of water, especially during the early morning will keep constipation away from the bowel system thus protecting your colon from infection.
Will Improve Your Skin
- Water is really good for your skin complexion if you drink it early in the morning. It helps wash down your entire digestive system that then helps in generating new body cells including skin cells.
So if you’ve been made to believe that drinking water is unhealthy for you first thing in the morning, these benefits should convince you. For best oral health, make sure you brush and floss your teeth daily and visit the dentist for periodontal therapy regularly.
The American Dentists Association recommends visiting the dentist at least every six months for the best dental health.